Member Spotlight by Anthony McIntosh, President & Founder of SSE Advisors
Provide us with a brief summary of your business’ services.
SSE Advisors is a strategic business advisory and consulting firm, focused on developing strategies and plans that help our clients build and sustain success. Guided by our over-arching framework, Sustainable Success Value Continuum®(SSVC®), our core services result in business changing trajectory. These core services include:
- Strategy Development & Execution– simplifying strategy development while establishing clear direction for better execution
- Business Diagnostics– evaluating key business functions while delivering clarity on where to focus efforts and resources
- Advisory Sessions– facilitating critical thinking and resolution around business issues, challenges and opportunities
Tell us about your company’s mission and values.
SSE Advisors’ mission is simple: Improve our clients’ ability to build and sustain success.
Our core values include: Integrity, Respectful, Accepting, Courageous, Accountable, Gracious, and Hard-working
- Integrity – always be honest, fair and ethical
- Respectful – treat others as you expect to be treated
- Accepting – be open to other people and ideas
- Courageous – don’t be afraid to always do the right thing
- Accountable – take responsibility for your actions
- Gracious – be kind and courteous
- Hard-working – work smart and do what it takes to complete the task
What are the services you use the most (or are looking forward to using) from the Columbus Chamber?
As a new member of the Chamber, I look forward to using as many services as possible. Connecting with members of the business community is critical for the success of my business and the Columbus Chamber helps provide access to that community. The Events are excellent opportunities to interact with business leaders, while the research helps me better define potential partners. Providing thought leadership papers allow me to share my expertise, knowledge and perspective across different issues. Finally, having a Member Resource Consultant assist me with my Chamber experience is extremely valuable.
How do you stay engaged with trends that you see in your industry?
Staying on top of trends is an everyday activity and requires multiple approaches. Reading from various sources helps keep me abreast of what’s happening within my industry as well as others. Talking with fellow colleagues, industry experts and business leaders, is also important for staying engaged. These conversations allow me to not only understand trends, but more importantly, how these trends impact businesses (directly and indirectly).
What is your company culture like?
SSE Advisors’ culture reflects our core values as well as an environment of intellectual curiosity, continuous learning and a willingness to help others better themselves.
What does it take to be a successful employee at your company?
Alignment with our core values and culture.
What makes Columbus such a great place to do business?
There are two primary reasons why I think Columbus is a great place to do business:
- Variety of companies that call Columbus home – Prior to moving to Columbus, I did not appreciate the different types of companies that are located here. I now have a better understanding of the diverse group of companies from size, industry, and maturity.
- Access to business leaders – As a small business, getting access to key leaders is a challenge.Although it takes time, I have found that many business and company leaders are open to meeting with you.
What pieces of advice have you found to be the most helpful since starting your career?
There are 3 pieces of advice that I have found most helpful:
- Stay true to who you are as a person
- Make a decision and pursue it with tenacity
- Work to help others better themselves
How do you achieve a work/life balance?
Early in my career, work/life balanced was defined by the quantity of hours I allocated toward either and I usually felt as if I was always “short-changing” one. Today, I try and focus on the quality of the time. I have learned that I will not always be able to control the quantity of time, however, I can control the quality of time. No matter if I am working or enjoying life, the important thing is making every minute count and being present in the moment.
Where is your favorite place to have a meeting outside the office?
Any place outside the office is usually a good place. However, these days, my favorite place is wherever my client (or whomever I am meeting) feels comfortable. Most of the time, the meeting is not about the place, but more often about the people.